Low Back Pain
Image Credit: livenewspress.com
Home remedies for low back pain are effective if you know how to use them properly. Low back problems are one of the most common complaints experienced during adult life. The term “low back pain” is a very general term that represents a wide range of disease categories that may all manifest as pain on the lumbar area. Among the various conditions related to low back pain are the following: mechanical strains to the low back, herniated disks, fractures, arthritis, kidney infections, or even pregnancy.
The frequency of low back pain among adults brings a great deal of attention to this condition, especially in the field of rehabilitation medicine. Aside from its frequency, its impact on an individual’s functional activity poses a great deal of concern. It is said to be the most common cause why workers lose productive time at work.
Furthermore, studies have shown that the costs of treatment for low back pain may reach up to billions of dollars each year. Owing to these high costs of treatment, and also because this condition warrants immediate relief from pain and discomfort, knowledge regarding home remedies for low back pain may be very useful.
Among the home remedies for low back pain are the following:
* Application of superficial heat over the lumbar area
* Massage and therapeutic exercises that are focused on strengthening & stretching of key muscles that contribute to stability of the spine, especially on the lumbar area.The therapeutic benefits of these back pain remedies will be discussed further.
* Application of superficial heat is a very convenient home remedy for back pain. It can be done by using hot packs or hot water bottles applied over the painful area for 20 minutes. This can relieve the patient because of the thermal effects of heat causing analgesia, general relaxation and decreased muscle spasms.
* Another notable thermal effect of heat application over a localized area is vasodilation of blood vessels, which causes an increased blood flow to that particular area. Where blood flow increases, there would be more oxygen & nutrient supply to the area.
* Massage may be the most popular among the suggested home remedies for low back pain. It is the manual manipulation of superficial & deep muscles, done in a variety of strokes & techniques. During a session of massage, palpation of muscles spasms may be done to detect particular trigger points in the low back area. Just like heat, massage also causes, increased blood flow to the area, decreased muscle spasms & analgesia.
* Of all the given home remedies for low back pain, the therapeutic exercises are the interventions that provide long term effects. When muscles of the lumbar area are tight, they are in a state of increased tension, resulting to low back pain.
* stretching exercises of these muscles are advised to decrease their state of tightness. Strengthening exercises of the abdominal muscles are also advised because the abdominal muscles act as a corset that provides stability to the low back.
Among the popular strengthening exercises for the abdominals are curl ups, sit-ups or straight leg raising. It is important to note that of all home remedies for low back pain, the therapeutic exercises require active participation of the individual. Thus, compliance of the individual to do the exercises regularly is important to have its long-term benefits.
All of the home remedies for low back pain suggested above can provide both short term & long term relief for back pain. These techniques have the advantage of convenience and accessibility because they do not require purchase of expensive equipments and modalities. However, if in any case that these home remedies for low back pain are tried but offers no pain relief, it is suggested that the individual seeks further evaluation procedures to detect if there is other pathology that causes low back pain.